Eating locally is great for you in so many ways.
It not only strengthens the local economy but also tops the list of environmentally sustainable actions you can take 3 times a day. Eating locally also helps farmers make their farm businesses more viable, which contributes to preserving beautiful farmlands and the rural flavour of our community. Our local farmers produce food to some of the highest food safety standards in the world, giving us peace of mind when it comes to food safety. Local food is fresher, more nutritious and tastier primarily because it takes less time to travel between the farmer and the consumer.
It's a win/win challenge.
You not only enjoy all the benefits of safe great tasting food that helps our local economy, you also have a chance to win great prizes. Download a scorecard and challenge yourself and your family to a week of eating locally whether you're cooking at home or eating out. Eating locally means eating food that is produced by local farmers or processed locally by local food processors (eg. bakeries, dairies, butchers, breweries, wineries etc). Get your scorecard stamped by participating local restaurants, food sellers, processors, breweries etc. (you'll find a list of participating retailers on your scorecard and on the website) and drop off your completed scorecard at the Creemore Farmer's Market on August 7th by noon. We'll draw for prizes at 12:35pm.
Food Prizes - Local farmers, food sellers, restaurants and processors have donated a variety of items that we'll draw for.
100 Mile Food Challenge Participating Restaurants and Retailers
1) Creemore Farmers Market Station on the Green, Creemore, ON L0M 1G0
2) Creemore 100 Mile Store (705) 466-3514 176 Mill St, Creemore ON L0M 1G0
3) Buddha Dog: (705) 444-2005 48 Pine Street, Collingwood ON L9Y 2N7
4) Creemore Springs Brewery: (705) 466- 2242 137 Mill St, Creemore ON L0M 1G0
5) 3 Guys and a Stove: (705) 446-3595 The Village at Blue Mountain, 190 Jozo Weider Blvd, Unit 1 Collingwood, Ontario L9Y 3Z2
6) The Old Mill House: (705) 466-5244 141 Mill Street, Creemore ON L0M 1G0
7) Blue Ridge Meats: (705) 446-9881 5 Hurontario Street, Collingwood ON L9Y 2L7
8) Cafe Chartreuse: (705) 444-0099 70 Hurontario St, Collingwood ON L9Y 2N7
9) Dags & Willow Fine Cheese and Gourmet Shop: (705) 444-9100 60 Pine St, Collingwood ON L9Y 2N7
10) The Sovereign: (705) 466-3006 157 Mill Street, Creemore ON L0M 1G0
11) FUD: (705) 428-2383 7304 Highway #26 Stayner, ON L0M 1S0
12) Espresso Post: (705) 446-1740 139 Hurontario St, Collingwood ON L9Y 2N7
13) Mylar and Loretas: (705) 445-1247 794012 Greycounty Rd, Hwy #24, Singhampton, ON
14) Pure: (705) 445-9990 10 Keith Ave, Unit 104A, Collingwood ON
15) The Olde Town Terrace: (705) 445-6950 219 Hurontario St, Collingwod ON
We'd love you to get involved with one of the many activities planned for Creemore's 100 Mile Food Challenge.
5th place - Morgan Ross - Eat Local T-shirt (100 Mile Store)
4th Pace - The Hayward Family (Helen, Scott, Ella, Clara) - $20.00 Gift Certificate (Grass Roots Organics/Saugeen Specialty Grains)
3rd Place- Helen Blackburn - Breakfast or lunch for two (Cafe Chartruese)
2nd Place - Leslie Nemez - $75.00 Gift Certificate (100 Mile Store)
1st Place - Randy Nemez - $150.00 Gift Certificate (Scotch Mountain Meats)
Thank you to everyone who participated this year and we hope you will continue eating local!